Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Chapter 3 - Misunderstandings

Another day, another promotion.


"God, can you believe it?!" Joey exclaimed. "I'm really making an impression on these guys, I'm telling you."


"I'm proud of you, sweetheart." But any trace of exuberance she might have had before was dimmed somewhat. He was already staying out late into the evenings, calling her and insisting that he was working late. The loud voices she always heard in the background suggested otherwise to her.


Jarred's birthday came on one of these late nights, and Leda had a quiet celebration alone with him. She had barely gotten the chance to leave the house since moving in, what with Jarred's abrupt arrival and her focus on writing her novels, and thus there was no one to celebrate with if even her husband couldn't spare an hour to see his son grow.


And grow he did. His hair, however, remains a mystery to all.

As her personal birthday gift to her son, Leda had a room built into the basement and furnished with a bit of advance money from her next novel, a room that would serve as Jarred's bedroom.


Was it cramped? Absolutely. Even the colors clashed a little against the eyes. But there was always time for expansion, and at the moment Jarred needed so little room that it wasn't an issue. She was rather certain she wouldn't hear him complaining, either.

With Joey continuing to keep himself close to work, Leda took on all of the responsibilities of raising Jarred herself.




In fact, any time that her husband was home from work, Leda did what she could to keep Jarred out of sight and out of mind.

This fact didn't slip past Joey for an instant. It was beyond pleasurable to alarm Leda by swooping down and taking it upon himself to teach their son how to walk.


Leda hovered nearby constantly, as if afraid that Joey would lose his temper with the toddler and storm away.

What in God's name is she so afraid of? Joey wondered one night as he lingered near the bookshelf, running his fingertips over the children's books on the bottom shelf. Why is she trying to keep our son away from me? What have I done to deserve this?

Leda's thoughts were growing more paranoid by the day. He's made it clear that he wants nothing to do with Jarred. I understand that. I'm trying to spare him, but he just...won't...quit!

"I'm gonna read to Jarred. Has he read this one yet?"

He held up the book for Leda, only quirking a brow when she jumped as if she was startled. She stared at the book title for a few moments unseeingly before she slowly nodded and collected the plates, going to wash them.

She was so harried that she broke the sink.


"Don't worry about it, Leda, I'll get to it."

Cue Sink #2 breaking less than five minutes later when she went to clean it.


God, I'm losing my mind.

Jarred's next birthday arrived a week later, stunning Leda by how fast time moved. He was well-prepared, of course, but she felt much less so. Her son was already growing into a child? God! How quickly were the days going to pass?

Joey took it upon himself to arrange a birthday party, though only his two closest friends from work were able to attend, as his boss nearly disintegrated in the sunlight when he arrived and quickly fled moments later.

As Leda played homemaker, Joey tugged his best friend Marc aside.


"Dude, I'm worried," he whispered, unable even to sit back in his chair and enjoy it. "Leda's acting so...so weird lately, y'know? I feel like I'm living with a stranger all over again. It's like we're just distant roommates or something."

Marc considered it for a moment, stretching out his limbs, before he nodded slowly. "Want me to talk to her?"

"Of course not!" He was beyond grateful that the room was empty besides the two of them, since he'd nearly shouted that in his haste. "This is MY relationship, and I-"

"She needs to feel like she has someone she can talk to, all right? I'm an artist, dude. I'm sensitive. I'm a painter. I know shit like this. Just lemme handle it, all right?"

Leda came up the stairs at that moment, and Joey gave Marc only a glance before he stood quickly to his feet and walked outside, dragging a hand through his hair in irritation.


"Hanging in there?" Marc asked, his gaze sharp and direct.

People like that always made Leda feel nervewracked. Why couldn't people just leave her alone like she wanted? But she tucked her hair over her shoulder, dragging her fingers through it nervously. "Of course. It's just...watching him grow up so soon, you know? Am I ready to let all this closeness we had go? He'll go off, make his own friends, develop new relationships, and completely forget about me, right?"

Her voice had grown soft and contemplative, and Marc lingered near her in silence for a moment before he spoke, his words sounding like a peculiar death knell in the thick air. "And here I thought we were talking about your son."

Leda flicked her eyes up to meet his for the first time, eyes growing wide. "Wh-what? I mean..."

"Come here. You need some fresh air." Marc turned and headed for the door, and God help her, Leda followed him like a magnet. "Talk to me," he said softly as they exited the house.


Leda cast a nervous glance over her shoulder to where Joey was tinkering with a stereo, one he was supposed to upgrade for a friend of his, before she leaned close and dropped her voice as well. "Is he...really working late? All those nights?"

Marc winced. "God, I don't even know. I quit working at the military base about...three, four days ago?"

She felt as if she might wilt like a flower. But she nodded and sighed. "I...feel like something's wrong. I feel like it has been since Jarred was born. Things aren't the same between us. He's distant, he's always out of the house, he looks at Jarred with the strangest look..."

"Like what?"

"I don't even know. I thought it was a look like he was ASHAMED of him or something, but if that was what it was, wouldn't he stay away from our son? Just pretend he didn't exist?"

Marc smiled slightly, just a bare twitch of his lips. "Joey could never be ashamed of Jarred. Can't be ashamed of you, either. He-"

"Come on, why's it so quiet out here?" Leda glanced over her shoulder, seeing Joey's other friend exit the house. She hadn't caught her name yet. The woman flicked on the stereo and tugged Joey to his feet by his collar, grinning. "C'mon, buddy, this ain't a funeral. Let's dance!"


Leda felt her heart pound painfully against her ribcage as a frog scurried up and lodged itself in her throat. Joey lit up, just like that. He was smiling, dancing, having a great time.


Leda wasn't sure she liked just how comfortable he was with her.

She lingered there for one more painful moment before she ducked her head and went inside, murmuring over her shoulder that it was time for cake.


Jarred grew up, strong and true. His hair is still an absolute mystery, but his eyes are all Leda's.

When the other guests had departed and Jarred had slipped into his new big-boy-bed, Leda and Joey sat in frigid silence as they both polished off another piece of cake.


Joey knew Leda better than she knew herself sometimes. After she'd scarfed down the cake and got to her feet, he spoke softly, his voice low and soothing like she remembered from when they were first dating. "Leda."



She closed her eyes, but froze.

"We need to talk."

Oh, God.


"About what?" she asked, though her voice was already flaking off bits of trepidation left and right. God, she was going to throw up again. She was going to throw up, and this time it had nothing to do with a baby. She knew that perfectly well. When was the last time she'd slept with her husband?

"Come here." Joey put down his plate and coaxed her away from the sink, holding her firmly by the arms to make sure she wouldn't run away before he dropped his hands to his side again.


They didn't stay there for more than a second. They leapt into the air as he began to speak, waving around with emotion. "Why the hell don't you want me to raise our son, Leda?"

She stared at him with huge eyes. "What?"

"You're doing whatever you can to keep me away from him. Don't think I haven't noticed. I'm not blind."


"I'm doing what you wanted! All through my pregnancy, all during his first few nights, you acted so...so dismal! Like it was a tragedy or something. I was just trying to spare you."

"I didn't want to be spared, don't you get it?"

She bit her tongue, feeling the jab at her heart again as she took a step backward.

Joey's eyes softened into a pale shade of purple, so sad that it almost broke her heart just to look at them. "Leda, I love Jarred. I love him so much that I can't even think straight. I can't imagine a day in this house going by without hearing you and him talking, or smelling his crap-filled diapers."


He reached out and pulled her into a hug, closing his eyes. "I was scared, all right? I was scared shitless. This kid didn't factor into my plans. I was gonna work hard, buy us a big old house with like eighty bedrooms or something, let you live like a queen before we ever had kids."

"But-"

"No, I'm not done yet." His tone was soft, but firm, and so Leda held still even as he pulled back.


"I don't wanna screw this up, okay? And I know I'm three steps from doing that. That's why I've gotta work like this, all right? That's why I've been getting a promotion like every day for the past week, because of you guys. I wanna take care of you." He looked down sheepishly, wincing. "And I suck at that, I realized."


When he reached out and touched her face, his hands as gentle as if he was touching a priceless jewel, Leda felt tears gathering in her eyes. "I want this. I want every part of this. I love Jarred, and most of all, I love you. Okay? I LOVE you. I want to have a million kids with you, and I want them all to have your eyes, and your hair, and your curves, and your voice, so that there's always gonna be that little part of you running around in the world, because I can't just keep you all to myself, no matter how much you want me to."

She sucked in a deep, wet breath as she stared into his eyes, willing them to be telling her the truth. "You want more kids? You mean that?"

"God, yes, Leda."

A huge burden lifted off of her shoulders as she laughed tearily and kissed him deeply, passionately, pulling back for only a moment to whisper. "Wanna start right now?"


They did.

---------

Don't worry, guys, I haven't forgotten about the half-sibling rule. 8B Hope you enjoyed!

4 comments:

  1. The word "god" appears in this update nine times, and yet no plumbobs in sight.

    I'm glad the founders made up. =) Though I'm curious as to how you will handle half siblings, yes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope that Joey is the father of one half-sib and Leda is the mother of one, that would be interesting :) I struggled with half sibling too because Ned and Nathalie are sooooo in love :) I had to use a magic music box and a crazy old friend to make it work XD

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great update. I'm also wondering about the half-sibs and how you'll manage.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh! That definitely didn't go in the direction I thought it would!

    Keeping us on our toes, I see!! =) Haha

    ReplyDelete